Use a Proven Lock on Your Self-Storage Unit: It Makes a Difference
Most self storage facilities have stringent security measures in place, including perimeter fencing, digital video monitoring and electronic gates with keypad access. Some have keyless systems that require only an app on your mobile phone to gain access and others offer “smart” units. Whether or not your facility is equipped with the latest in mobile or smart technology, you should purchase a high-quality padlock as an extra layer of protection for your valuables.
Before you purchase a lock for your self-storage unit, there are several things you need to consider.
- Depending on the security level of your storage facility, you’re probably trying to decide between a medium- and high-level quality lock. Remember the old adage, “you get what you pay for.” Don’t compromise the security of your belongings. Go with the best lock in your budget range, especially if you’re going to have your valuables in self-storage for a lengthy period of time.
- If it fits your needs, consider a shrouded shackle. They are more expensive, but harder to drill because of a protective covering on the shackle.
- Consider the size of your padlock and where you’ll be using it. You want it to fit; don’t buy an industrial-sized padlock for a small unit.
- If you’re considering a regular vs. a disc padlock, the disc padlock actually provides better security. These are considered by many to be the best locks for storage units because there is virtually no space to use bolt cutters.
- Be sure that your padlock is made of materials that will provide strength, hardness, longevity, durability, and resistance to corrosion. Common materials that will provide these qualities are steel, alloy steel, aluminum, carbides, and brass.
Seven of the Best Storage Unit Locks for 2021
According to Storagefact.com, the following are a few of the best locks for 2021. If you need more information, or these locks aren’t the best fit for your needs, check the above link to see more types of locks.
4 Digit Combination Lock by Desired Tools
The Desired Tools 4 Digit Combination Lock is Storagefact’s top pick for 2021. This lock is so popular that it has a 4.5-star rating, with other 5,000 reviews on Amazon. The manufacturer claims that this lock is great for lockers, fences, and storage units and can survive both indoor and outdoor.
- Weatherproof – survive sun, rain, and snow
- Stainless steel hasp – unlikely to rust
- Steel, metal, and zinc alloy – durable and sturdy
- Easy to set and reset combination
- The manufacturer has been known to bombard customers with spam emails
Abus 20/70 Diskus Stainless Steel Padlock
The Abus 20/70 Diskus Padlock is made of stainless steel, and the shackle has little room for cutting or drilling.
- High quality and high security
- Heavy duty
- Resistant to drilling
- No springs in the mechanism
- Difficult to pick
- Could get jammed on an extremely cold day
- Finding replacement keys for this lock is very difficult. They are custom made and shipped directly from Germany
Stanley Hardware S828 Shrouded Hardened Steel Padlock
The Stanley Hardware S828 boasts a six-pin cylinder and anti-pick pins, and its hardened steel that will protect the contents of your storage unit even from sawing and cutting tools.
- Durable and sturdy
- Will stand up to electric and manual saws
- Keyway cover provided to combat drilling
- The 6-way pin core is resistant to picking
- Finding or even getting a replacement key made is quite difficult
- Compatible only with Android and iOS
WGCC Fingerprint Keyless Padlock
The WGCC Fingerprint Keyless Padlock is built from aluminum alloy and was given a 4-star rating by around 200 customers.
- This lock has a three-month free return policy
- Weather and dustproof
- Long-lasting, rechargeable battery
- Cut resistant body
- Works with a mobile app that allows you to manage access to your storage unit
- You can record 15 fingerprints, giving 15 people access to your unit
- You have the option of using the app as well as a fingerprint to unlock
- The app displays battery status
- The app asks for too much personal data during the installation and configuration process.
The ABUS 37/80 Granit Alloy Steel Rekeyable Padlock
The ABUS 37/80 Granit Alloy Steel Rekeyable Padlock does not compromise in design and has a tensile strength of 25,000 pounds.
- High Security
- Well made, heavy-duty
- Worth the cost
- Excellent resistance to pulling and drilling
- Strong and shrouded shackle
- May not fit all storage units
Master Lock 930DKHPF
The Master Lock 930DKHPF’s corrosion resistance makes it a great option for the outdoors. It’s also the least expensive option for these locks.
- Comes with two keys
- 5-pin cylinder locking mechanism
- The lock works in many weather conditions
- Resistant to cutting, prying and drilling
- Solid, high quality, but inexpensive
- The shackle is long, so be sure to check that it will fit your unit.
- The lock has been known to rust over time, however, it’s still worth considering as an all-weather lock.
Master Lock Titanium Shrouded Padlock
The Titanium Shrouded Padlock by Master Lock is durable and easy to use. Master Lock has been raising the bar on locks since 1921.
- Stainless steel body won’t corrode or rust
- Shrouded design
- Four-pin cylinder makes picking difficult
- Dual locking levels provides defense against hammering
- Fits most storage units
- Keyhole protected from dust
- the key-retaining feature that makes it hard for you to drop your keys
- The keys Master Lock provides are made from weak metal. They bend and break easily
Choosing the right lock can be overwhelming; we hope this information helps. When you look at locks, consider the value of your possessions and the security features at your storage facility. Having the right lock will add an extra layer of security and put your mind at ease.